You know when you wake up sometimes, and you just think, “I’m not getting up today. I won’t. I will not. No one can make me.” And then you do.
I’m just having one of those weeks where I need a couple bottles of wine, several days straight of sleep and maybe a foot rub for good measure.
It seems like there’s always something that needs to be done. Which somehow manages to turn into me not getting anything done. I’ll turn off the lights and climb into bed, only to jump up 30 seconds later when I’m hit with the realization that I need to pay my visa bill.
Or the equally enjoyable situation of deciding between sleep or being clean. My usual train of thought ends up at “Fuck everyone, if I can survive on a few hours of sleep then they can deal with my greasy hair.”
So on my first completely free day in what felt like ages, I did four very important things.
1. I slept in. And I didn’t just sleep in, I lay in bed for a good hour after I woke up, just to further enjoy this seldom found luxury.
2. I showered. Not to say I don’t regularly shower, but this day I got to properly get ready. Meaning I wasn’t sprinting out of the house with wet hair and one eyebrow filled in.
3. I went for brunch with some lovely friends. Nothing is a bigger treat for me than sleeping in and going for some delicious brunch. (I had pulled pork pancakes, if you were wondering).
4. And finally, and probably most importantly, I baked chocolate cupcakes.
Now this may seem boring. Chocolate cupcakes? Not even chocolate chili cupcakes or triple chocolate cupcakes?
I just had a craving. For moist, dark chocolate cupcakes and goddamn I deserved them.
Also, I’d been dying to try out a recipe for one bowl chocolate cake from A Cozy Kitchen so I changed up the recipe a bit to make them into cupcakes! (I’ll link her blog, and the recipe below).
So if you’re on the verge of an emotional breakdown like me, or just like chocolate cupcakes, I hope you like these!
One Bowl Chocolate Cupcakes
(Adapted from A Cozy Kitchen)
3/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cups brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup dark cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1/3 cup, plus 1 tablespoon, buttermilk
1/3 cup, plus 1 tablespoon, warm water
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, prepare muffin tin with paper holders. (This recipe makes about 8-10 cupcakes. Depending on how large you want them to be).
- In a kitchen aid/electric mixer with paddle attachment, mix together flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cocoa powder, and cinnamon.
- Add egg, buttermilk, warm water, olive oil and vanilla extract. Mix until combined. (Don’t over mix).
- Once smooth, spoon into muffin tins. I filled them to about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 12-15 min until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool completely.
3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups icing sugar
3 ounces dark chocolate, melted (let cool slightly)
1 1/2 tablespoons milk or cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Put all ingredients into kitchen aid with paddle attachment and whip together for 1-2 minutes until creamy and fluffy.
- Put into piping bag with desired piping tip, and decorate cupcakes once fully cooled.