Hello! It’s been a while.
I’ve made my way back to the mainland and managed to get lost in the chaos of packing up and moving.
It’s so lovely yet strange to be home! I feel like a tourist in a city I know inside and out. Everything feels new and exciting, but yet I know where I’m going and have favourite spots and old hangouts that I love.
Right now my boyfriend and I are enjoying our un-employment while it lasts. Sooner rather than later we’re going to have to go back to work and schedules and having to get up earlier than we’d like to. But for now, as it’s only been one day since we’ve moved back, we’re enjoying the sunshine and the freedom.
It’s really starting to heat up on the west coast. Today it was nearly 24 degrees, and it’s only April. Unheard of!
We wanted a nice light and fresh dinner for such a beautiful, warm spring night. So we went on a pantry search, picking up things that inspired us, or looked particularly appealing.
It’s one of my favourite ways to make a dish: search out what inspires you, and find a way to make them come together on a plate.
I picked up lemon and spaghetti, and he picked up a great seasoned sea salt and some shrimp. And the Garlic & Lemon Shrimp Spaghetti was born! I also recalled a great recipe I had seen on Damn Delicious food blog, so checked that out for a little extra inspiration. We decided to re-create it, with a bit of our own twist. (I’ll link the recipe and the blog down below!)
The best part about this recipe is sautéing the spices in the butter before adding the shrimp so all the butter is infused and delicious.
Sometimes butter can make spaghetti heavy tasting, but adding the lemon and parsley brightens it up beautifully.
Garlic & Lemon Shrimp Pasta
(Adapted from Damn Delicious)
8 ounces spaghetti
1 pound of shrimp
Sea salt & pepper, to taste
1/2 a large lemon
5 large cloves of garlic, minced or chopped finely
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon chilli flakes
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan
1 stick salted butter
3 heaping tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- Cook spaghetti, strain and set aside. (Optional: toss with olive oil to avoid spaghetti sticking together.)
- In a large skillet on medium, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter, and add oregano, chilli flakes, salt, pepper and garlic. Allow to infuse for about 1 minute. Do not cook too long or on too a high a heat. If the garlic cooks too much it will burn by the time the pasta is served.
- Add shrimp and lemon, cook fully. (I like to turn up the heat to high once nearly fully cooked and let the shrimp brown and crisp)
- Add the remainder of the butter and the cooked pasta, toss to combine on low heat.
- Add parmesan and parsley.
- Garnish with another squeeze of lemon and some sea salt.
Thanks for stopping by! x